Image showing steps and a ramp to an accessible home

As a disabled person you are entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) from the government if you need to make adaptations to your property. To be eligible you or someone in your household must be disabled and the adaptations be for the disabled person, you own the property or are a tenant and plan to stay in the property for 5 years (which is the current grant period). 

Be aware though that you may not be granted a DFG if the work has already begun when you apply or at any point in the application process. How much grant money you get will depend on your household income and household savings over £6,000. 

In England you can receive up to £30,000, in Wales you can receive up to £36,000 and in Northern Ireland you can receive up to £25,000. Disabled Facilities Grants are not available in Scotland, to find out about financial support for equipment and adaptations in Scotland, visit this government website

If you are in England or Wales you can apply for a DFG through your local council. An occupational therapist may come out and assess the adaptations you need. Follow this link to find your local council’s website. If you are in Northern Ireland, follow this link for more information on how to apply.

For more information visit

If your needs change following the completion of work using a DFG, you are entitled to apply for another grant as long as the combined total doesn’t exceed the statutory limit.