Disabled Facilities Grant

Image showing steps and a ramp to an accessible home
Image showing steps and a ramp to an accessible home


As a disabled person you are entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) from the government. This is for making make adaptations to your property. To be eligible, you or someone in your household must be disabled. The adaptations must be for the disabled person. You also must own the property, or be a tenant and plan to stay in the property for 5 years (which is the current grant period). 

Be aware that your Council may not grant you a DFG if the work has already begun when you apply or at any point in the application process. How much grant money you get will depend on your household income, and any household savings over £6,000. 

In England, you can receive up to £30,000. In Wales you can receive up to £36,000, and in Northern Ireland you can receive up to £25,000. However, Disabled Facilities Grants are not available in Scotland. To find out about financial support for equipment and adaptations in Scotland, visit this government website.

If you are in England or Wales, you can apply for a DFG through your local council. An occupational therapist may assess the adaptations you need. You can find out more about this process on your local council’s website. If you are in Northern Ireland, you can learn more here.

If your needs change following the completion of work using a DFG, you are entitled to apply for another grant.. You can do this as long as the combined total doesn’t exceed the statutory limit. 


Housing adaptions in Scotland

The Disabled Facilities Grant in England

Housing Adaptions in Northern Ireland

Advice on the Disabled Facilities Grant

Other housing advice pages