Private renting involves paying a private landlord money – typically every month – to live in a property they own. To find privately rented properties you can look on estate agent’s and property websites and visit estate agent offices to find a home to rent on the open market.
Most properties available for private rental are not accessible or adapted, and many estate agents may make it difficult for people on benefits to rent from them.
Pros & Cons of Private Renting
- You can choose the location of where you live
- You may have a greater choice of property
- Less waiting time
- You must search for a property yourself and deal with people who may not understand your needs
- The ability to make large adaptations (for example: fitting a wet room) is often limited
- Can be expensive depending on location